Are you an avid runner and an animal lover? Or are you running for the first time and looking for some company? The Northeast Animal Shelter is looking for runners of all experience levels to join our Run Club and help with exercising some of our dogs!
You will get the opportunity to make an impact on our dogs by providing them much needed exercise and some quality time outside of the shelter. Our population varies week to week, so you will have the opportunity to frequently meet new dogs! All levels of runners are welcome!
- Run with a group of shelter staff and volunteers, and accompanying dogs.
- Learn to use dog handling equipment including (but not limited to) harnesses, hands-free leashes, and treat pouches.
- Expect to run at least 3 miles in various locations.
- Be comfortable being matched with a dog by our Run Club Leads.
- Communicate to the Run Club helper should you or your dog need any assistance.
- Be comfortable around medium to large breed dogs. Experience and comfort handling large, high arousal dogs is a plus!
- If new to running, a willingness to try!
- Able to adjust pace to the dog’s and the group’s speed as needed.
- Ability to multitask and pay attention to surroundings and individual dog’s needs.
- Ability to clearly communicate and follow instructions.
- Preferred: An active driver’s license and ability to transport shelter dogs in your vehicle to various locations for Run Club.
- NEAS Volunteer Orientation
- Hands-on training with Run Club leads and Volunteer Coordinator
- Hands-on training with Behavior Team (as needed)
There may be times that we do not have a dog to match you with for the run. If that is the case, you are still welcome to run with the group.
Run club often goes into a local neighborhood, directly from the shelter – but there are times that another location may be preferred due to visibility, a dog’s comfort level, or community events.
- Approximately 1 hour per outing.
- Availability Monday through Fridays preferred.
- Run Club days/times and scheduled based on Leads availability, typically occurring once a week. Run Club volunteers will be asked to sign up for a minimum of 2 runs a month for approximately 4 months.