** We can only accommodate volunteers from 7am – 9am or 5pm – 7pm at this time. **
As a morning or evening Cat Care volunteer, you will be the first face our pets see in the morning or the comforting hand as we wish them goodnight. Our Cat Care volunteers assist our staff getting the mornings started or wrapping up the day by providing quality care through the cleaning, feeding, and socialization of our cats. This position is perfect for those who only have a few hours to spare here and there and want to make an impact in the lives of our pets!
You will be working alongside like-minded people to make our animals as comfortable as possible during their short stay at the shelter. This position will initially focus on shelter care tasks, such as preparing food and cleaning kennels. However, with continued service you will be able to transition to handling our animals.
Volunteers must be willing to commit to at least 8 hours a month for approximately 2 hours each shift. Available shift times are 7am – 9am (mornings) or 5pm – 7pm (evenings) every day of the week. Want more time at the shelter? No problem! After training, you can pick up as many additional shifts as your schedule allows.
What you will do:
- Make and distribute morning or evening meals, in accordance with each cat’s dietary plan.
- Provide in-kennel enrichment with toys, treats, and other equipment specific to their enrichment plans.
- Clean and disinfect rooms, kennels, and litter boxes of urine, feces, old food, and other debris.
- Set up animal enclosures with bedding, toys, and other comfort objects.
- Complete a variety of additional tasks to support shelter staff upon request.
- Be comfortable working in close proximity to a variety of animals, specifically cats and large breed dogs.
- Able to meet the physical demands of this role, which require variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping and using a step ladder.
- Able to work and communicate within a team of staff members and other volunteers.
- Able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced, high energy (but fun!) environment.
Benefits of being a volunteer:
- Ability to grow into responsibilities that involve handling cats and socializing with them.
- Continued education on how to work with and make an impact on shelter animals.
- Opportunity to become Fear Free Shelters certified.
- Opportunities to attend and participate in shelter events.
- Volunteer discount in our retail store (not including adoptions)
Active email address and access to a computer is required.
- Able to commit at least 8 hours of service per month.
- Able to sign up for the 7am – 9am or 5pm – 7pm shifts.
At the Northeast Animal Shelter, volunteers are an integral pillar of our team and are critical to the success of our mission. Through their unique talents, skills, knowledge and care, volunteers improve the lives of the animals we touch through our programs and in our communities. Together, staff and volunteers act as caring and compassionate role models as we strive to support animals in our community and the people that love them.
Does this sound like the position for you? Please apply below!