Are you an early bird or a person with time free mid-day who wants to make cats happy? Cat Care volunteers assist staff in providing care and enrichment to shelter cats. Volunteers ensure living environments remain safe, clean, and as comfortable as possible.
Our current need is for individuals to assist with kennel cleaning and feeding. Volunteers applying for this role should not expect to frequently interact with cats and should be prioritizing cleaning. However, applicants must be comfortable with cats of various sizes and temperaments as you will be distributing food to them.
- Clean and disinfect enclosures which are often soiled with urine and feces.
- Provide appropriate food, in accordance with each cat’s dietary plan.
- Complete a variety of tasks to support shelter staff. Tasks may include but are not limited to cleaning cat room floors and equipment, washing and folding laundry, and washing dishes.
- Able to meet the physical demands of this role, which require variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching and stooping.
- Able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Must be safely able to use a stepladder, to access food and linen storage.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to use basic math, including fractions.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced, high stress environment.
- Ability to remain open-minded and understanding of decisions for euthanasia that consider the animal’s physical and emotional well-being and the safety of the community.
Reliable transportation is required.
- Minimum of one shift per week on a set day and time.
- Current openings are 7am-11am on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays or 10am – 2pm on Sundays. We cannot make accommodations to this schedule, due to the importance of kennel cleaning and feeding being completed on time.
- Minimum of 6 month commitment.