Are you an early bird or a person with time free early evening who wants to make dogs happy? Dog Caregiver and Kennel Support volunteers assist staff in providing care and enrichment to shelter dogs. Volunteers ensure living environments remain safe, clean, and as comfortable as possible. Our current need is for individuals to assist with kennel cleaning and feeding. Volunteers applying for this role should expect to prioritize cleaning over walking dogs. However, applicants must be comfortable with dogs of various sizes and temperaments as you will be distributing food to them.
- Clean and disinfect enclosures which are often soiled with urine and feces.
- Provide appropriate food, in accordance with each dog’s dietary plan.
- Provide in-kennel enrichment according to enrichment or training plans.
- Complete a variety of tasks to support shelter staff. Tasks may include but are not limited to cleaning dog room floors, washing and folding laundry, and washing dishes.
- Assist with walking dogs on leash for their morning and evening bathroom breaks.
- Have the ability to keep information confidential.
- Able to meet the physical demands of this role, which require variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching and stooping.
- Able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Must be safely able to use a stepladder, to access food and linen storage
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- The ability to use basic math, including fractions
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced, high stress environment.
- Ability to remain open-minded and understanding of decisions for euthanasia that consider the animal’s physical and emotional well-being and the safety of the community.
Reliable transportation is required.
- Minimum of one shift per week on a set day and time.
- Current openings are:
- 7am – 11am on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- 3pm – 7pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- We cannot make accommodations to this schedule, due to the importance of kennel cleaning and feeding being completed on time.
- Minimum of 6 month commitment