Shelter Care Volunteer
Shelter Care Volunteers assist all departments in keeping the shelter environment safe, clean, and comfortable as possible for animals, staff, and volunteers.
This position is integral in allowing staff to attend to the regular needs of our animals and ensuring the best possible care. Considering the large number of animals we can have in our shelter, these are all extremely helpful tasks that allows our team to tend to other needs such as cleaning, walking, and enrichment. Please note that this is not a hands-on position working with the animals.
- Prepare food for cats, dogs, and the occasional rabbit, guinea pig, and bird.
- Be able to print and follow the feeding instructions on the food report. Be able to adjust for those with alternative diets due to medical or behavioral needs as indicated.
- Wash, dry, fold, and put away laundry.
- Wash, dry, and put away dishes, litterbox, toys, and other items.
- Wash and dry transport kennels/carriers and crates.
- Clean and disinfect shelter areas.
- Sort through donation bins and distribute accordingly.
- Restock animal food and supplies.
- Empty trash and recyclables throughout the building as needed.
- Ability to work independently and with other volunteers or staff.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and comfortable asking for help when unsure of directions.
- Ability to follow directions and prioritize tasks
- Ability to make good judgements for the safety of the individual, staff, volunteers, and animals.
- Ability to stand for up to 4 hours and lift/pull up to 40lbs.
- Be comfortable wearing PPE as needed when working in isolation areas or with chemicals.
- Attendance and on-the-job training.
- A weekly 3-hour shift on the same time and day of the week.
- Minimum of a 6-month commitment.